The conventional medicine approach for thyroid and hormone dysfunction is the WRONG approach.
In the conventional model of medicine, practitioners often…
Don’t utilize and evaluate the appropriate lab tests. Often times the only thyroid labs drawn are TSH and (maybe) T4, neglecting the overall function of the thyroid. Basic hormone panels also neglect upstream factors that impact hormonal balance.
Rely too heavily on labs. Symptoms matter too! Just because a physician says your labs are “normal”, yet you still feel sick, doesn’t mean you’re crazy. It means they haven’t looked deep enough, nor are they looking for the root causes of your thyroid and hormone dysfunction.
Don’t call it what it is. 90-95% of hypothyroid patients actually have an autoimmune thyroid condition, but many clients either don’t know that or don’t know realize the pharmaceutical isn’t actually treating the issue. Also, thyroid and hormone dysfunction is a SYMPTOM of an upstream problem(s)–gut dysbiosis, leaky gut, food intolerances, excessive stress, high toxic burden, poor sleep, nutrient deficiencies, side effects of pharmaceuticals (prescription and over-the-counter meds), etc.
Provide insufficient treatment. Simply prescribing a thyroid medication or hormone replacement is not enough. The thyroid and hormonal balance can and SHOULD be optimized through diet, nutrient status, toxin reduction, stress reduction, etc. TREAT THE ROOT CAUSE and eliminate the need for medications.
We uncover and address the root cause. Thyroid and/or hormonal imbalances are symptoms of an upstream physiological issue, and our job is to find and address the cause(s). We investigate nutrient status, gut health, toxin exposures, lifestyle, chronic infections, stress response, and much, much more.
We use comprehensive lab panels in order to assess full thyroid and hormone function. We may also use advanced specialty tests to assess other factors that may be contributing to the imbalance and dysfunction, such as nutrient deficiencies, cortisol levels, heavy metal toxicities, gut dysbiosis, gut permeability, etc.
We take time to listen to our clients. Your symptoms and concerns matter to us, and we tailor your plan with them in mind. If a client doesn’t feel well, we know there is more to investigate and try. We never brush off a concern simply because labs are “normal.”
Customized Plans & Prescriptions
We provide comprehensive care plans. Our recommendations address the multiple facets of lifestyle and environment that optimize thyroid function and hormonal balance, including:
- An outline of our primary physiological concerns, as discussed in your consultations
- An individualized therapeutic nutrition plan complete with approved food lists, calorie and macronutrient recommendations (when appropriate) and extensive handouts & resources for implementing your plan
- Recommendations for optimizing sleep
- An exercise prescription detailing optimal frequency, intensity, duration and type
- Stress management resources to help you identify the best ways to activate your relaxation response and facilitate restoration and healing
- Toxin reduction recommendations based on your exposures
- A personalized protocol or nutraceutical plan
- Medication adjustment and weaning
- Lab recommendations
Our prescriptions are strategic. When necessary, we work with clients to find the lowest effective dose of medication to optimize health. Furthermore, we use the data from our comprehensive lab panels to customize your prescription. We’ve partnered with Stanley Pharmacy to provide convenient, reliable and customized compounded prescriptions for our clients.
- Get the exact customized dose tailored specifically for your needs, every time. No more combining or cutting pills.
- No additives, lactose, gluten, alpha gal proteins, fillers or dyes.
- We never run out, so you never have to switch a prescription that’s working well.
- Your prescription will ship right to your door.
- **Prescriptions are only available for clients in Arkansas (or Mississippi with a PCP referral).
Our Process & Pricing
Most thyroid and hormone conditions are the result of underlying metabolic imbalances that have been at work for months, years, or even a lifetime. Uncovering and correcting those imbalances will require patience and commitment. New clients begin with our Functional Medicine Foundation Package and will then work with Dr. Kinard to discuss and implement your thyroid optimization strategy. This onboarding process costs $450. After the initial consultations, existing clients can transition to 6-month follow-ups with Dr. Kinard for prescription management ($200 for 30 minutes).
Getting Started in the Program
Functional Medicine Foundation Package – $250
This package includes 2, 60-minute consultations with a Functional Medicine Consultant and a comprehensive care plan document outlining our recommendations.
- A 60-min Initial Health & Medical Investigation
- A comprehensive & personalized care plan outlining treatment recommendations
- A 60-min Care Plan Consultation to discuss implementation of recommendations
During these visits, your Functional Medicine Consultant will help you…
- Identify the probable root cause(s) of your symptoms from your health history, lifestyle and environment
- Understand how those triggers have created physiological imbalances within your body
- Develop a personalized, comprehensive strategy for addressing each trigger and imbalance
- Consider if and when you should work directly with a Functional Medicine Clinician
- Understand advanced Functional Medicine testing options and when they might be helpful
30-Min Consultation with Dr. Kinard – $200
- To discuss which labs to will be most beneficial to order*
- To allow Dr. Kinard to investigate further so that she can make additions to your comprehensive care plan.**
- A prescription or prescription recommendation***
*The cost of labs is not reflected in the cost estimate.
**As a part of your care plan, Dr. Kinard may recommend a therapeutic protocol & diet, nutraceutical supplements, lifestyle modifications and/or options for advanced diagnostic testing. The prices listed do not include the cost of additional testing, supplements, protocols, or consultations that may be recommended for thyroid and/or hormone optimization.
***We can prescribe and manage prescriptions for clients in Arkansas (and Mississippi with a referral). For major changes in dosage of prescription, we require an appointment to monitor tolerance of the new prescription or dosage. If this occurs, a follow up appointment will be required (30 minutes, $200).
Once the prescription is stable, clients may transition into maintenance consultations every six months.
30 Min w/ Dr. Kinard – $200 (every 6 months)
This visit includes:
- Pre-ordering a comprehensive lab panel to determine prescription, diet, supplement & lifestyle recommendations*
- A 30-min consultation w/ Dr. Kinard to review your lifestyle and labs
- Updated lifestyle & supplement recommendations based on your current lifestyle and lab results
- Prescription management
Lab costs not included; supplement costs not included.
We do not accept insurance for our consultations, nor can clients bill insurance independently. Due to the current insurance model, there are no appropriate codes for reimbursement of our services. However, many health savings accounts will cover our consultation fees and services.
Clients in Arkansas and Mississippi (Mississippi clients require a referral) may use their insurance for standard labs. **Unfortunately, we cannot accept Medicare.** Please check with your insurance provider to understand your coverage and note that we are considered an out-of-network specialist. For clients who would prefer not to use insurance, we have negotiated very reasonable cash fee rates for many standard and advanced lab tests. We can provide these rates upon request.
Required Documents for Prescription Management
To manage thyroid medication, we require clients provide documentation of the following annually:
- Comprehensive physical exam by your PCP
- EKG (12 lead)
- Signed “Consent to Treat” form (provided and discussed with Dr. Kinard)
To manage BHRT/bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, we require clients provide documentation of the following annually:
- Comprehensive physical exam (must include breast exam) by your PCP
- Mammography or thermography of breasts
- Signed “Consent to Treat” form (provided and discussed with Dr. Kinard)
Work With Us
To begin this program, please sign up under the “Become a Client” tab and follow the instructions. When you are ready to schedule your first consultation, please scroll down on the scheduler and select the Functional Medicine Foundation Package.